Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Ubuntu craziness!!

Hi Wendall,
This post is directed at you. I needed a bit of help (understatement-alot of help!) and i tried looking for your messenger ID so i could IM you to no avail. Problem- am trying to set up a virtual network that i can monitor using nagios (that's the really summarized version of it all). Firstly, what virtual tool should i even install on my ubuntu? I was thinking of installing Virtual box but OMG the headache am getting over it. Also, is there a way i can install it offline? Having a reliable internet connection has also become a problem for me. I think that's all for now. Waiting for your reply.(seriously, I really would have preffered to send you an email though.)

2 comments:

  1. IT-B, I've not personally used VirtualBox or Nagios, nor I am Linux/Unix-savvy. Matter of fact, I'm green in comparison to you, so I had to turn to the couple of blokes I work with - the System Engineer guys whose bread and butter is Linux to ask them.

    They say you're on the right path. VirtualBox is the best to you, if you want virtual server systems. Use Dynamips though if its network infrastructure gear (routers, switches, firewalls) that u want to emulate.

    I dont know the install procedure, so not sure about offline/online install. I might have to run it on a Windows server to give me an idea of comparison & hit u back with what I went thru.

    Also been told that you can get a bundled VirtualBox & Nagios tool from Nagios itself. If that gives u less grief maybe its the way to go. It might give you more !!

    BTW, what sort of specs does the host system have that you want to install VB and Nagios on ?

    Well send u email at what I think might be your email id & take it from there.

    HTHs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot to add, apparently Ubuntu is a problematic Guest OS to run VirtualBox on. It causes boot crashes on your virtual machines!!

    ReplyDelete